Thursday, January 12, 2012

Crock pot teriyaki chicken (recipe).


I received a crock pot for Christmas, and I absolutely love it! It's wonderful to have an almost finished meal ready and waiting for us when I get home at the end of the day. I've never had a slow cooker before, so I am planning on trying at least one new recipe with it every week (last week I made a chuck roast - it was so tender it literally fell apart when I tried to pick it up). This week's recipe is Teriyaki Chicken.

I based my recipe on this one from Lake Lure Cottage Chicken (there are lots of other mouth watering recipes on this blog too - check it out!). I made a small batch, since it was just the two of us last night, but you could easily double it (or even triple if you have a big enough crock pot).



Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ponzu*
3 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tbs Sriracha hot sauce (rooster sauce)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves minced garlic (approximately 1 tsp)
1 tbs cornstarch
1 tbs cold water
2 cups steamed broccoli (optional)
cooked rice

Instructions
1) Trim the chicken & cut into bite size pieces. Put it in the crock pot.
2) Mix together the sugar, soy, ponzu, vinegar, sriracha, pepper, ginger, & garlic. Add mixture to the chicken, & turn crock pot onto low.
3) Go do something else for 3-4 hours.
4) When the chicken is tender & thoroughly cooked, remove it from the sauce & set aside. Pour the remaining liquid into a saucepan, and bring to a boil on the stove top.
5) Mix together the cornstarch and the cold water (make sure there are no lumps), then slowly pour into the boiling liquid, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens (about 1 minute).
6) Serve chicken and broccoli over rice with the sauce drizzled over the top.
* If you don't have ponzu, you can substitute soy sauce - just add an extra splash of vinegar.

Oopsey Daisy

6 comments:

  1. OH wow!! My mouth is seriously watering! I am going to try this recipe for sure. Your photography is amazing, too. Thanks so much for sharing at Oopsey Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alison! & thank you for hosting the linky party :) I get so much inspiration from Oopsey Daisy (and I can't wait to have kids so I can use your Mommy School packs!).

      Delete
  2. Monica, I love what you did with this recipe. You have improved it and I will try it your way. Thanks for the link.

    My Best,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny - I couldn't have done it without your awesome recipe as a guide. I can't wait to try out some of your other recipes!

      Delete
  3. Wondering if I could lightly brown the chicken a bit first. Should be ok, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could. It might not need to cook as long after that, so I would start checking the meat after 2 hours. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

      Delete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.