Thursday, January 26, 2012

Coconut chocolate tarts with caramel (recipe).





Yum! These are so delicious that I'm making another batch as I write this. You only need five ingredients to make these! The first batch disappeared very quickly at our book club last weekend, and left me craving more chocolate-coconutty goodness. 

I based this recipe on this one from Martha Stewart; how can you go wrong with chocolate, cream, coconut, and butter?! I picked up some Kraft Caramel Bits on clearance the other day, so I decided to add caramel to the top, but they taste great without it too. 

This recipe makes about three dozen mini tarts. Since it's easier to let them cool completely before removing from the mini muffin tins, you'll need three tins to bake them all in (I only have two, so I used small ramekins for the rest). You can also use a regular muffin tin, which makes about a dozen tarts. I also highly recommend using cupcake wrappers - getting these out of the tin in one piece was tricky business. 

Ingredients
14 oz (1 bag) shredded sweetened coconut
5 tbs butter, softened
1 cup heavy cream
1.5 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 tbs caramel bits (optional)

Instructions
For the crust:
1) Turn oven on to 350 degrees F.
2) Combine one third of the coconut with the butter in a food processor. Process on medium for about a minute, until it forms a uniform sticky mixture.
3) In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the coconut with the butter-coconut mixture.
4) Add two tablespoons of the coconut mixture to each muffin cup (lined w/ cupcake wrapper!). Use your fingers to press the mixture into the bottom & sides (2 tbs looks like a lot, but the coconut mixture is very fluffy, & compacts a lot when you press it down).
5) Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. If necessary, press down the coconut again (I used the handle of a butter knife to do this).
6) Let cool (at least 30 minutes).

Toasted coconut cups; stirring the ganache; filled cups cooling
For the filling:
1) Heat the heavy cream in a sauce pot until almost boiling.
2) In a large mixing bowl, pour the cream over the chocolate. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3) Stir mixture until chocolate is completely combined, and the ganache is smooth and uniform.
4) Pour the ganache into the coconut cups. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool (at least 30 minutes again). Remove tarts from the tin.
5) Optional: Melt the caramels in a small pot (add a few drops of water if the caramel is too thick). Drizzle caramel over the tarts. 
6) Refrigerate until serving.

While I was making these, my friend Adriane was busy making quiche for the book club (we always eat very well at our meetings!). I love cooking with Adriane, even though my kitchen is tiny, we never seem to get in each others way, and we have so much fun! She made two delicious quiches; a bacon, broccoli, cheddar one, and a spinach, feta, sun dried tomato one. Yum!

Cheesy bacon & broccoli goodness
Shared at:
Mom on Timeout: Iron Chef Chocolate
WhipperBerry Friday Flare linky party

2 comments:

  1. I just pinned this one to try! Sounds simple enough, and I am sure the taste is out of this world! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carmella! Let me know how they turn out if you make them :)

      Delete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.