Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chocolate strawberry oat and jam tart (recipe).


Last week I traded blogs with Cheryl from Prickly Banana. In case you missed it, here is the recipe that I posted on her blog.

Hello! My name is Monica, and I'm so excited to be here at Prickly Banana today! I am always amazed by the beautiful furniture restorations that Cheryl shares; she has a great eye for the potential that a piece of beat down furniture still holds. 

If you are looking for Cheryl, you can find her over at my blog, M double M. Of course, you can also find out a bit more about me, and you can see all of my past projects there as well. I share a lot of recipes, some crafting and decorating ideas, and occasionally the other random stuff that is currently occupying my mind.

When I was deciding what to make for this special post, I came across a recipe that my aunt had sent me in a recipe exchange a few years back. Her recipe calls for raspberry jam, but I had something even better: Chocolate strawberry jam (I could seriously eat this stuff by the spoon full!). I picked this up at our local farmers' market a while back, and I had been waiting to find the perfect use for it. 
You can find these jams here.
I brought these tarts to a pre-bridal-dress-shopping brunch, and they were a big hit. They were sweet enough to give us a boost of energy, and the hearty oats kept us going strong. They are also incredibly easy to put together (only 5 ingredients!). I actually split the batch into two pans, and made two different flavors; half were chocolate strawberry, and the other half were blackberry. I used a 7 inch diameter round springform pan, and an 8 inch square pan (the original recipe calls for either a 9" by 9" pan or a 8" by 11" pan). 


Chocolate Strawberry Oat and Jam Tart
Makes 15 - 20 servings

Ingredients
2 cups baking mix (such as Bisquik)
1 cup quick oats
3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chocolate strawberry jam (or other flavor)

Instructions
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees f. Grease your pan(s).

2) Mix together the baking mix, oats, and brown sugar. Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the dry ingredients, then mix until crumbly (alternatively, you can cut the butter in with a fork or a pastry blender). 

3) Firmly press half of the oat mixture into the bottom of your pan(s). Note: the mixture may seem too crumbly to stick together at this point, don't worry. It will all come together when it bakes.

4) Gently spread the jam out over the top of the oat mixture. The best way to do this is to dot the jam all around on the mix, then, very carefully, spread it out. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top of the jam, and press down gently to smooth the top. 

5) Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until light brown on the top. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.


Chocolate strawberry oat goodness.

Here's one with blackberry jam. YUM!
Linking up to these parties.

2 comments:

  1. What a yummy healthy snack! Seems really easy and a great grab and go option!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Caked Vintage Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessa! It certainly is! Next time I want to add some sliced strawberries I think (and it would be even more healthy that way!).

      Delete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.