Thursday, February 9, 2012

Crock pot chicken and black bean burritos (recipe).


After about a month of playing with my crock pot, I've learned a lot, and I've gained a lot of confidence using my slow cooker. In fact, I'm proud to give you my very first completely original crock pot recipe! I pretty much made this up as I went, and I am so happy with the results.

This recipe makes 4 to 6 servings, depending on how hungry everyone is. I love that it only requires a few minutes of labor at the beginning and end of cooking. I let it cook for 10 hours, but I'm sure that you could use the high setting to speed up the process.



Ingredients
Rub:
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs chili powder
1/2 tbs kosher salt (you can substitute table salt, but use about half the amount)
Filling:
~1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (I used two large breasts)
1 can (15 ounces) dice tomatoes (with the juice)
2 cans (30 ounces) whole black beans, drained
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
olive oil
To serve:
large flour tortillas/ burrito wrappers
shredded cheese (we used cheddar)
shredded lettuce (optional)


Instructions
1) Mix together all of the spices. Use about half of the rub to coat the chicken breasts.

2) Drizzle a little olive oil into the bottom of the slow cooker, and turn it onto Low. Add the chicken, then add the beans, onion, tomato, and the remaining spice mix. Cover and let cook for 9 to 10 hours.

3) Stir everything together; the chicken will fall apart on its own (if it needs a little help, use a fork to pull it apart).

4) Melt the cheese onto the tortilla in the oven or microwave. Add the chicken/bean mixture and the lettuce, then wrap up your burrito to serve.

Sharing at:
Whipperberry

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.