Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Lemon coconut layer cake (recipe).


I have to be honest, baking cakes from scratch always seems like too much work for me. Box cakes are so much easier, and the results are always reliable. That being said, I do love to dress up the box cakes that I make, and I never use store bought frosting. This lemon and coconut cake was a big hit at the Easter party that we went to, and it was easy to put together.

I made this lemon cream filling as an experiment one day. I was craving something something sweet, but didn't have any dessert in the house. I raided the cupboards and found an extra can of sweetened condensed milk. I decided to experiment by squeezing a lemon into the condensed milk. When I first started mixing it together I wasn't sure what would happen, and it looked a little strange. I kept mixing though, and suddenly it came together into a lovely, creamy, velvety sauce. This mix is delicious over pancakes or waffles too, but I especially love it with coconut in this cake.


Lemon and Coconut Layer Cake
makes 1 cake

Ingredients
1 box white or yellow cake mix, plus the ingredients listed to make the cake
1 ts lemon extract

1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup lemon juice (2-3 lemons worth)

1 cup heavy cream
1 ts vanilla extract
1 tbs sugar

2 cups sweetened coconut flakes

Instructions
1) Mix cake batter as directed, stir in the lemon extract. Bake cake in two 8 inch round pans.

2) Mix together the condensed milk and the lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Remove warm cakes from pans, and level the tops. Pour the lemon mix over the top of the cakes. Let cool.

3) Whip the cream, vanilla, and sugar together until it forms stiff peaks.

4) Top one layer of the cake with half of the whipped cream, and sprinkle half of the coconut on top of it. Gently place the second layer on top of the first. Spread the remaining whipped cream over it, and sprinkle with the rest of the coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

 Pin It I link up to these parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.