Sunday, March 17, 2013

Crockpot Mexican lasagna (recipe).


This is an adaptation of a recipe that my mom used to make when I was younger (actually, I think she still makes it, I just haven't had the chance to eat her version in many years). Of course, since she's a vegetarian, her version doesn't have meat in it, and she makes it in the oven instead of the crock pot, but the idea is the same. I made this last week when I was trying to figure out what to do with all of the corn tortillas and beans that I had bought on my last shopping trip. At the time, I couldn't remember what my mom called the dish, so I couldn't find a recipe online. I decided to make one up as I went along. I'm happy to say that it came out delicious.

This is a very hearty dish, and this recipe makes a lot. It makes delicious leftovers, and I was happy to eat this for lunch for several days after making it. It's also quite versatile, I used steak, but you could easily substitute pork, chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, or even leave the meat out. You could also throw more veggies in (I think corn would be a great addition). Use whatever size tortillas you have on hand (you would even use flour tortillas), just make sure there's a complete layer each time. Think of this recipe as a basic outline for you to add your own twist to!



Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna
Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
1 lb top sirloin steak, cut into small chunks (or your choice of meat)
2 tbs taco seasoning
2 tbs olive oil
2. 5 cups (20 oz) green enchilada sauce
21 4" white corn tortillas
8 oz grated cheddar cheese
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
2 cans (16 oz) refried beans

To serve:
          sour cream
          avocado
          hot sauce

Instructions
1) In a hot pan, sear the steak with the olive oil and the taco seasoning. Set aside.

2) Begin layering the dish into the crock pot with 1 cup of enchilada sauce.

3) Layer three tortillas into the crock pot, and sprinkle one fourth of the cheese over them. Add one third of the tomatoes.

4) Layer in three more tortillas, then spread one third of the beans on top. Add one third of the meat, and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce.

5) Repeat steps 2-4 two more times, until all of the beans, tomatoes, meat, and enchilada sauce is used up.

6) Layer in three more tortillas, and top with the remaining cheese.

7) Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Serve with sour cream, avocado slices, and/or hot sauce on top.


 Pin It I link up to these parties.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Monica. Thanks for following my blog. I'm following your lovely blog now too.

    Your Mexican Lasagna looks delicious and would go down a treat with my family as we love Mexican flavours.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.