Friday, March 8, 2013

Cheddar chive biscuits (recipe).

I love biscuits; flaky, buttery, and they work with every meal! I made these to go with soup for dinner, and we had a few leftover to enjoy with breakfast the next morning. This recipe is adapted from Ina Garten's Barefood Contessa Family Style cookbook. I don't use my cookbooks enough, but the few things I have made from this cookbook have been fabulous (and the pictures are drool worthy).

The original recipe didn't involve cheese, but I've been on a cheese kick lately (who am I kidding, I'm on a permanent cheese kick). Ina Garten's biscuits are rolled out and cut into rounds, but drop biscuits are much easier and faster. I made these in the food processor, so the dough came together in just a few minutes. You could also make these with a mixer, or even by hand. The only thing I would change is to make a double batch next time so that we would have twice as many to enjoy.

Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Makes one dozen biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups AP flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 stick cold salted butter, cut in chunks
3/4 cup whole milk
3 tbs dried chives or 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
6 oz cheddar cheese, cut in chunks
1 egg, mixed with 1 tbs water, for egg wash

Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees f.

2) Combine flour, baking powder, butter, and chives in the food processor. Blend until butter is in small chunks. Add cheese (if you are using a mixer, grate the cheese before adding it), and process until combined (about 30 seconds). Add the milk, and process until combined (about 15 seconds).

3) Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash (note: I only used about half of the egg wash on the biscuits, so if you double the recipe, one egg should still be enough).

4) Bake 20 to 22 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown.





  Pin It I link up to these parties.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm a new follower via GFC :) I just pinned these biscuits. They look so good! Thanks for sharing!

    Shandy @ Aprons 'n Pearls
    {Please drop by for a visit!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica,
    I love a great biscuit and these sound delicious. My favorite bread recipe has cheddar cheese, so I imagine I would love these too!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.