Friday, April 20, 2012

Creamy pink sauce and pancetta (recipe).


I made this pasta dish for dinner a few nights ago, and it was hearty, flavorful, and satisfying. It was also fast and easy to make, which is important on weeknights. The tomato gives the dish a nice bright flavor that prevents this from being too heavy, and I love the flavor the pancetta imparts on the sauce.

The base for this sauce is similar to the one I used in my brown butter cream sauce. I was making this recipe up as I went, so the measurements are approximate. I always taste as I go when I cook, so that I can tweak the flavors to my preference.



Ingredients
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 cups milk (plus a little more)
6 oz (1 can) tomato paste
1 lb pancetta (I used sliced, but cubed is fine too)
garlic powder
red pepper flakes
oregano
black pepper

1 lb pasta (I used mostaccioli)
1 lb shelled peas, cooked

Instructions
1) Start cooking the pasta. Cut the pancetta into small pieces and fry them.

2) While the pancetta is frying, melt the butter in a large saucepan, then stir in the flour (medium heat). Allow the flour to cook for approximately one minute, then stir in the milk (make sure to stir in any lumps). Bring to a boil, and allow to simmer for a minute to thicken.

3) Reduce heat to low, and stir in the tomato paste and cooked pancetta. Add garlic, oregano, and peppers to taste. If the sauce becomes too thick, mix in a few splashes of milk, until the desired consistency is reached.

4) Stir together the sauce, pasta, and peas. Garnish with cheese if desired, and serve.

I link up to these parties.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!!! I love pasta and this just looks incredible! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.