Thursday, September 6, 2012

Double decker eggs in a basket (recipe).


It's been hot here lately. Too hot to turn on the oven. Too hot to spend much time "slaving over a hot stove." Too hot to eat a big heavy meal anyways*. Honestly, we've been ordering a lot of pizza, but even pizza gets boring after a while. 

A few nights ago, I was perusing the refrigerator for inspiration, and I asked the hubby if he wanted eggs in a basket (actually, I think I called them toad in a hole, which I now realize is not strictly correct). It was his idea to use two pieces of bread with cheese in the middle to keep it all stuck together. He has his genius moments.

This is simple and fast (and it won't overheat your kitchen), but satisfying and yummy. Add a little avocado on the side, and you have a perfect summer meal. 

* However, the weather has been perfect for the beach and the pool. It's not all bad ;)


Double Decker Eggs in a Basket
Makes one sandwich

Ingredients
2 slices of bread
2 eggs
cheese (something that melts nicely, I used Monterey Jack)
butter
salt and pepper

Instructions
1) Cut a hole through both pieces of bread. I used a wineglass to cut the hole, and it was the perfect size. Set aside the round pieces from the holes.

2) Slice the cheese into thin slices, and arrange so that it covers one slice of bread, but not the hole. Stack the other piece of bread on top.

3) Melt some butter in a hot pan over medium heat. Add the bread and cheese sandwich to the pan, then crack the 2 eggs into the middle. Add the bread rounds to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

4) Cook until bread is golden brown, then (carefully) flip the sandwich, and add more butter (don't forget to flip the bread rounds too). Season with salt and pepper again. Cook until bread is golden brown on second side. If you want the egg to set up more (I like my yolk runny), you can pop the whole thing into the oven at 350 degrees F for a few minutes.



Pin It
I link up to these parties.

10 comments:

  1. Double Decker huh?! Oh my..my boys would Love this! I agree- Taco Shop for us tonight! No slaving over here! No no!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My step mom users to make me toad in a hole when I was in junior high. It's one of those nostalgic dishes I always crave. This sounds fantastic. I'm so making it for breakfast tomorrow. And I love the avocado addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toad in a hole? That's cute :) My husband is huge on the breakfast stuff. I think this is right up his alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this looks scrumptious! I make my son egg sandwiches all the time but I've never made them in the bread before. I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up last week to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you have for this week’s party! Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a neat recipe. I am going to try this sometime. :) Stopping by from WLOW and am now a follower via GFC. Have a great Saturday!

    Julie
    www.thisgalcooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully, this Decker will be useful to make many recipe which will be very effective and sure that it is very effective to me as well. Thanks a lot mate. I want to know more to click here your website.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.