Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My tiny kitchen (writer's workshop).

I'm back for another week of the writer's workshop. This week I'm choosing Kat's third prompt: Show us your kitchen! Don't get me wrong, I'm not choosing this prompt because I think I have a beautiful kitchen. On the contrary, I want to show you that you don't need a huge fancy kitchen to cook your heart out (although I do dream of double ovens, six burner stove tops, and islands full of storage; heck, even a few feet more counter space or a window would be amazing, but I digress).

We've been in our place for three and a half years by now, so I have the kitchen set up just how I want it, and I am comfortable in it. One nice thing about having a small kitchen is that everything is always within a few feet of you (never mind that sometimes that means a few feet above my head causing me to climb to reach it... these are the perils of being vertically challenged). Anyways, the moral is that you make do with what you have. I've even made Thanksgiving dinner for 8 people in this kitchen. It took some planning, good timing, and a lot of stacking, but I made it work, and you can to.

Okay, enough talking, now I have to go clean the kitchen so that I can take some pictures to share with you (at least since there's no window I don't have to worry about taking pics during the daytime!).


 Here's the overview shot; you can see that I wasn't kidding when I called it small. It's long(ish) and narrow, so there's not much space for more than one person in there at a time. Matt and I are always sidestepping each other trying to get to the fridge or microwave.



The left (west) side has the blender, drainboard, sink, toaster, & microwave. I always try to keep something cute hanging over the sink to look at while I do dishes, and this heart garland is my favorite.

The right (east) side is where most of the cooking happens. As you can see, there's not much counter space, but we make it work.

Before we finish, I just want you to take one last look at the tile that adorns this kitchen (and our bathroom). I can almost guarantee this tile is original to when the place was built in the '70s. Who in their right mind thinks that avocado green splatters is an attractive look?! It sort of reminds me of moldy bread... not appetizing.


   Pin It I link up to these parties.

5 comments:

  1. I love your outlook and wish I'd had it before we started knocking the walls down in our kitchen!

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - I bet you love your kitchen when it's done though. If we weren't renting, I might be tempted to knock a few walls down too ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley. I'm having fun seeing everyone's kitchens!

      Delete
  3. I love peeking in to everyone's kitchens! Big or small I think they all have their own charm!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.