Sunday, January 13, 2013

Crockpot dulce de leche (testing Pinterest).



I've seen so many versions of this slow cooker Dulce de Leche on Pinterest, and I finally had to give it a try. I actually made this a few months ago (it just took me a really long time to get around to editing the photos), and I as I sit writing this post I'm wishing I had some to indulge in right now (there would be a can of condensed milk in my crock pot right now, if it wasn't already full of beef). 



I followed these directions from Taylor Takes a Taste. She has great tips and step by step directions that I recommend checking out if you are going to make this. Basically though, you just cook a can or two of sweetened condensed milk submerged in water in the slow cooker on low for about 8 hours. Be sure to use a can with no dents, and to let it cool completely before opening; we don't want any dulce de leche explosions!

I stored the leftover dulce de leche in one of the jars that I used rubbing alcohol on to remove the label. If I decoupaged the lid, this would be a cute homemade gift!

Pin It I link up to these parties.

3 comments:

  1. Can you do the high version or would it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could do it on high - I've seen similar versions done in boiling water on the stove for 2 to 3 hours, and I imagine doing it on high in the crockpot would be similar. Just be extra careful that your can has no defects, and I would avoid the easy-open-top kind of can. It will still take several hours to cool before you can open it. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

      Delete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.