Sunday, September 23, 2012

Crazy things we tell kids (silly stuff).

The other day, I happened upon this comment thread about the crazy things that our mothers told us, and that we tell our children. I was cracking up reading it, and it made me think of some of the crazy things my mom used to tell me too (let's just say wild imaginations run in my family). Now some of these are just plain silly, some of them are borderline genius, and a few of them are almost mean, but they all amused me. 
Since reading through the entire comment thread is slightly time consuming (I think I giggled at least an hour of time away), I decided to condense it into a list. Most of these are adapted from the Reddit thread, and a few are sprinkled in from my childhood (see if you can guess which ones).



10 Silly Things Adults Convince Children Of

1) Each time my parents made chocolate milk, they added a little bit less chocolate syrup. Eventually I was drinking plain milk, and thinking it was chocolate milk.

2) My mom told me that I had to be very very quiet while the cake/cookies were baking because too much noise could ruin them. Then she would enjoy twenty minutes of golden silence.


image source
3) My dad used to tell me that Swiss cheese comes from holy cows (I think he was trying to distract me from saying "holy s$!t").

4) My parents used to tell me that we couldn't go to McDonalds (or SeaWorld, the park, etc) because it was closed. I always just thought these places had terrible hours.

image source
5) My mom convinced me that the fuzzy type of lint brushes were for bald men to polish their heads. When I expressed skepticism, she pointed out a bald man with a very shiny head, and told me I could go ask him. Of course I was too chicken to go ask, so I took her word for it.

6) My mom told me that some of my toys couldn't leave the playpen. I would actually ask to go in the playpen so that I could play with those toys.

image source
7) My parents had us play Statue. If one of them said "statue!" we would freeze in place and compete to see who could stay still the longest.

8) When I was being really bad, my mom used to say she was going to call the cops on me. She would pick up the phone, (pretend to) dial, then talk. Eventually I figured it out, and did the same thing to her, except I said I was calling CPS.

image source


9)  If I had a nightmare, or trouble sleeping, my mom would spray a little "Good Dream Mist" on my pillow to magically ward off bad dreams. It was actually just lavender water, but it always did the trick.

10) My parents used to tell me that a star would show up on my forehead when I lied, and that is how they knew if I was being honest or not. Every time I lied I would cover my forehead, and that's how they actually knew.


Pin It

I link up to these parties.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet post...It brought back memories of all the little 'white lies' my parents would say to me and my siblings...we now do the same to our kiddies....thank you for this post...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! You had really great parents :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, too funny. I have also been guilty of telling my kids that places were closed. They called me out on it once when I tried to pull it off on a store that was open for 24 hours. Ooops.

    My youngest daughter whines about every nick or scratch. One day she was complaining about a teeny bruise, so I went and grabbed a stick of deodorant and swiped it over the bruise. I told her it was magic pain relief and she bought it. For about 2 years she would ask for that deodorant stick every time she got hurt :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have very smart parents! I’m so glad you linked this up at One Creative Weekend! I love it! I’d love for you to join the party again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.