Sunday, August 5, 2012

Lemon jalapeño shrimp skewers (recipe).


I made these shrimp skewers when my brother-in-law and his fiance were here last month, and they were a huge hit. They were also fast and easy to make (the hardest part is cleaning the shrimp). This is another recipe from Cook's Country (I am absolutely loving my subscription. Thank you again Grandma!). 

These are supposed to be made on the grill, but we were so busy chatting and hanging out that it was dark out by the time I got around to making dinner. To make life easier, I cooked them on our little George Foreman grill inside. They were delicious done this way, but I suspect they'd be even better done over real fire to get that nice caramelized browning. 


Lemon Jalapeño Shrimp Skewers
Serves 4 (about 12 skewers); adapted from Cook's Country June/July 2012

Ingredients
1.5 lbs extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 ts lemon zest
1 tbs lemon juice
3 lemons, quartered and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 tbs butter, melted
1 tbs sugar
6 tbs olive oil
1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced (use less if you are sensitive to spiciness)
2 tbs fresh cilantro, minced
salt and pepper

Instructions
1) Pat the shrimp dry. Fill skewers, alternating shrimp and lemon slices. 

2) Brush both sides with butter, and sprinkle the sugar on evenly. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.

3) Combine olive oil, jalapeño, cilantro, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a bowl. Set aside.

4) Grill skewers, covered, for about 3 minutes on one side. Flip and continue to cook until shrimp are done (about 2 more minutes). Transfer to serving dish.

5) Spoon the olive oil and jalapeño mix over the skewers. Serve and enjoy.

I link up to these parties.


6 comments:

  1. This sound delicious. I am not a fan of seafood. Shrimp is about all I will touch. I am always looking for new ways to give it a kick and will surely be giving this one a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoy shrimp thanks for such a tasty recipe. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com New follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice blog. I am following you now. Please drop by to Carole's Chatter and check it out. You might like my Food on Friday series which focuses on a different ingredient. This week it was Berries and Currants. If you like my blog it would be great if you followed me back. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica, thank you for following Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and son will love this! Big shrimp eaters :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday each week. I appreciate YOU! Can't wait to see what you link up next :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum, yum!!! I’m so glad you linked this up at One Creative Weekend! I love it! I’d love for you to join the party again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.