Sunday, July 8, 2012

Easy risotto for two (recipe).

A few weeks ago, I had the honor of guest posting over at White Lights on Wednesdays. Just in case you missed it, here's my post in all it's glory. If you haven't checked out White Lights on Wednesdays yet, you definitely should. Julie is so creative and organized (and I imagine busy!). I can't wait to try her recipe for stuffed pork chops with dijon butter sauce; I can't get them out of my head since I saw them, and I know the hubby would love them too!



The inspiration for this recipe belongs to my mom and grandma. I love risotto, but rarely make it because of the intense amount of stirring that's required. Recently, my mom has gotten really into making risotto (I think she's been making it the last three times I talked to her on the phone!), and she's been making me crave that creamy goodness. My grandmother recently sent me a subscription to Cook's Country magazine (which is my favorite cooking magazine ever - it's put out by the same folks who make America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated). Imagine my excitement when I was flipping through and found a recipe for risotto to serve two that called for less than ten minutes of stirring!


Of course, I was skeptical that you could get truly creamy risotto with so little stirring, but I had to try it.  Cook's Country does extensive trials and testing to make each recipe perfect, and this one did not disappoint in the least. It was creamy and rich, and so easy to make! This is definitely going to become a regular dish in our house. Thank you mom, grandma, and Cook's Country!

When I made my risotto, I followed the method from the magazine, but I changed the flavors to suit the hubby's taste buds (the original has mushrooms and asparagus which are both no-nos for him). We both loved the way the flavors came out, but feel free to adjust to your taste buds. That's one of the best things about risotto - it's like a creamy blank slate of goodness to build your flavors on!

Easy Risotto with Chicken Sausage and Peas
Serves two

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups chicken broth (if you're using a can of broth, you can stretch it with a little bit of water)
4 tsp olive oil
1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked chicken sausage, sliced into thin disks
1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for garnish
1 tbs butter
2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
1) Bring the broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Cover and set aside.

2) Over medium heat, saute the sausage in 2 tsp of olive oil until golden brown, then remove and set aside (depending on your pan, you made need to do this in two batches to avoid overcrowding).

3) Saute the onion in the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil, with a pinch of salt. After about 2 minutes, add the rice. Cook for one more minute while stirring (the rice should start to get translucent around the edges).

4) Stir in 1 & 1/2 cups of hot broth to the rice, and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 14 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed. Stir once, approximately halfway through.

5) Add in 1/2 cup hot broth and stir vigorously and continually until the liquid is absorbed (about 3 minutes). Add the peas, and the remaining 1/4 cup of broth. Continue cooking and stirring until risotto is creamy and rice is al dente (about 3 more minutes).

6) Remove from heat, stir in the sausage, then let sit for 2 minute. Stir in the parmesan, butter, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve, with extra parmesan sprinkled on top. Enjoy!

I link up to these parties.

12 comments:

  1. You are making me really hungry just reading about that!

    I would love for you to share this with my readers at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee

    http://www.couponingncooking.com/2012/07/mealtime-monday-recipe-link-up-party_08.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invitations Kaylee! I just linked up :)

      Delete
  2. We love risotto but I have not tried it with chicken and peas, will have to do that!! Thanks so much for sharing and I am a new follower!!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! Chicken and peas was delicious! I'd love to hear what you like in your risotto - I'm always looking for new inspiration :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Carole! I'll have to check out your bacon egg rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica,
    This risotto looks delicious! I can't wait to try the recipes. Thank for sharing at Creative Thursday :) Have a wonderful weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Hope you are having a great weekend too!

      Delete
  5. Love Risotto! Thanks for sharing! We would love to have you link up some of your recipes over at our party!

    http://baked-inthesouth.blogspot.com/2012/07/made-it-by-monday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. All really great and very informative.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you! I try to reply to every comment (by email, or by commenting back on your blog). Thanks for stopping by.